Old Albanians Hockey Club was established in the mid 1980’s by old boys of St Alban’s College. It is now the largest non-university hockey club in Pretoria with 5 men’s and 4 ladies’ teams and about 150 members. They would to invite home school children (and learners homeschooling in South Africa) and would like to participate in a team sport.
Hockey can be played from the age of 6 to 60. Developing younger players is very much part of the Club’s activities.
During 2010 and 2011 we established our Colts’ and Cub’s teams (Boy’s and Girl’s u16 teams) that play in the adult Club leagues. In 2011 the Cub’s team won the Ladies 4th league.
With our youth players making solid progress, we are now launching our Junior Section Programme with the following benefits:
- Enable children to learn more about the game and play more hockey through the year with like-minded individuals.
- Being a member of the club will introduce the boys and girls to an environment that they can be a part of their entire lives.
- By having a hand in a child’s hockey development from a young age and monitoring their progress, the club will have more control over how their future senior members play the game.
In partnership with St Alban’s College, we will now be offering a comprehensive Junior Hockey Programme that focuses on teaching the children:
- The special technical skills of the game played on astro which will allow your child to become more competent and confident.
- What it means to play in a team and for the club.
- A love of the game from an early age.
- And, most importantly, to have fun while playing this amazing game in a safe environment.
The Coaching Program will be led by Stewart Dunbar, the Club Director of Coaching. Stew has experience playing and coaching at senior provincial level, and he was actively involved in the very successful junior hockey programme at Riverside Hockey Club in Durban. (His hockey CV is available on the Club website) He will be supported by other coaches and administrators from the Club and the College also experienced in junior hockey, and other Provincial players in the Province.
Age Groups: u6, u8, u10, u12 and u13
Duration: 20 one hour sessions
Time: 4.30 to 5.30pm u6.u8 & u10 / 5.15 – 6.30pm: u12 & u13
Venue: St Alban’s College Astro
Start Date: Friday 2 March 2012
On line registration and details for electronic payment are available on the Club website
For more information contact:
Stew Dunbar – Coaching Director at 083 784 2999
Junior Section Administrators
Lindi Fairweather : 072 232 2281
Penny Learmonth : 082 804 2766